Sunday, March 15, 2009

Et tu, Brute?

I feel like a bad nerd. I went most of the day not realizing today was the Ides of March. I even spoke to my Mum not once, but twice, and didn't mention it once. Wow, I am slacking.

As I am more of a English nerd than a math nerd, The Ides of March is a bigger deal for me than Pi Day, which was yesterday. I was actually debating having a party for the Ides, but then realized that it was on the Sunday before St. Pattys, and thought it'd be under-attended. Ah well.

The ides, which comes from the Latin word meaning "half division", originally is for the half month/full moon, and this month is a celebration for the god Mars. It's more well known for the day Caesar was assassinated by Brutus. This was also depicted in Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, in Act III, scene i. (say it with me... NERRRRRRD)

So a big shout out today to those who know it's the Ides of March, Brutus, Caesar, and my fellow Lit/History nerds everywhere.

No comments: