Tuesday, March 24, 2009

the elixir of life if you had parents that grew up in the Nashoba Valley

I came home from work sick today. Nothing terrible, but I think a combination of allergies/stress/lack of sleep/breathing recycled air/hating Canada with every power of my being. You'd be amazed at how much energy that last one takes out of you. On my way home, I stopped at Henry's Market (a place I'll be returning to once I have an appetite so I can get lots of food and gorge on that place) to get soup and ginger ale.

I don't usually drink soda. In fact, I've pretty much given it up these days. Unless I'm sick. (or feeling like an old lady, which does happen from time to time) Then I get ginger ale. I don't know what it is, but there' s something about ginger ale that always makes me feel better. It's just so tasty.

My parents grew up in Nashoba Valley (near Lowell) and so the brand of choice has always been Chelmsford Golden Ginger Ale. Keep in mind, that first word is pronounced "chehms-fehd". It's hard to find around my parts, but I always keep my eyes peeled. Sadly, Henry's does not sell it.

I called my Mum to see if she knew where it might be, and after a "aww, I love that ginger ale session" between the two of us, she recommended trying Market Basket, so if I continue to feel like death warmed over, I'll try there next. It's not that this tastes better than Canada Dry or Schwepps... well, no. I take it back. It does taste better. No bones about it.


If you've seen this brand out and about, and know where I can find some of my own, please fill me in. I'd love to go enjoy a glass or four.

No comments: