Wednesday, February 22, 2012

MFT Day 21: Oscar Season

When I was in high school, my Mum would sneak me a print out of the Oscar Nominations while in class.  She would say that it was an important note from the front office (where she worked) and I would pull off my own award-winning performance, reading the list solemnly as if taking in an important message about after school activities.  Over a decade later, I still wish someone would secretly hand me over the list while I'm at work.

The last two years, Ricky and I have decided to make an event out of Oscar Season.  We've challenged ourselves to watch as many of the Oscar-nominated films as possible (now that there are 10, it's hard to catch all of them) so we can watch the ceremony informed.  I also make a nice meal for that night so we have a tasty meal for the awards.  We also fill out the ballot that's printed in Entertainment Weekly and whichever one of us gets the most correct gets a nice dinner out of it.  Last year, I smoked Ricky, so I'm hoping I can make my record 2-0.

I've enjoyed embracing the Oscar season with Ricky, because it gives us a reason to watch a lot of really good movies, have a nice meal together on a Sunday night, and a little bit of friendly competition.  I'm hoping that this is something we will continue for years to come.

As far as our rankings go, we've seen The Artist, Moneyball, The Descendants, and Midnight in Paris for the Best Picture nominations.  The Help should be arriving in Netflix soon.  And obviously my vote is going to Man or a Muppet, in case you were wondering.

In light of The Oscars coming up this week, here's Rex Harrison winning his Best Actor Award* for My Fair Lady.  I put this up because I always joke that Ricky is the Rex Harrison of musical theatre performances, since when he played Uncle Max in his high school's production of Sound of Music, he just spoke all the songs since he can't really carry a tune.  And clearly that's an award-winning strategy when you're carrying a movie musical...







*Peter Sellars was 10000% robbed, for the record.  Also, Audrey's trying to upstage this entire process.

No comments: