Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How do you measure, measure a year?

I don't work with Jack Black. Or Michael Cera. Or cavemen.

Sorry for the Rent reference.

So today marks one year at my new job... which I guess is not so new anymore. It's crazy to think it's been a year. It both seems longer and shorter than that. But I am happy I'm here, for sure.

I think I've learned a lot in the last year about working and myself. Such as:

--Driving to work is overrated. It turns out I love commuting to work via public transportation. I've done so much knitting, reading, podcasting, it's been great. I still have my car, but I don't miss sitting in traffic. And on those rare days when I had to drive in... I was reminded further why taking a train is great.
--I still have friends from my old job, which is very nice. I'm glad I still have my core people I talk to regularly.
--I'm capable of pulling off great things at work. I organized 850 college students for a graduation and it went off surprisingly well. I've also learned so much about curriculum and this college, which always pleases me.
--Newbury St and Boylston St kill my wallet. Regularly. I'm looking at you, Anthropologie and Crate and Barrel.
--There will always be that one person at work who drives you crazy and is close to useless, but it depends on the number of annoying people vs. non-annoying people which helps the work atmosphere. Two words: Ned Flanders.
--I really like working with college kids. 89% of the time, they're eager and sweet. And I like seeing how they have such big aspirations for the future. I'd say about 11% are awful entitled kids, but whatever. Also, they're far more stylish than me. Definitely makes me feel more Liz Lemon-ish than before.
--I don't miss eating at a caf daily.
--I do miss having a free gym daily.
--I hope to be here awhile. I really like working for a college, especially this one.
--I like working with caring, quirky, creative coworkers, and I hope they feel the same way about me.

No comments: