Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween 2010!

I think we're just gonna to have to be secretly in love with each other and leave it at that, Ritchie.

Friends on Twitter or FB have already guessed, but this year Ricky and I were Ritchie and Margot Tenenbaum. Sadly, the Halloween party we always go to at Di and Danielle's house was canceled this year due to stomach bugs, but we did display our costumes all over Salem for two days. Ricky is currently rocking a shaggy, bearded look, and owns about 90% of the stuff that Ritchie wears, so it was an easy sell. I've always loved that movie and her look, plus... it's freezing cold in Salem at the end of October. Knowing I'd be walking around that area, I REFUSE to dress in something where I'll be freezing my ass off. I'm sorry, sexy nurses and storybook characters, but there's nothing "sexy" about hypothermia.

Ricky's character was quite easy to create. He owned a pair of khakis and the scarf. We then took a trip to Savers and got a khaki blazer and a polo shirt, and then a trip to the sports store to get sweat bands. I also let him borrow my Marty McFly aviators. He got dressed five minutes before we headed out to our Halloween parties, and plans on wearing most of the pieces again in his real life. Life is good for Ricky.

For me, it took some more planning and purchasing. I already own loafers. I found a striped polo dress on ebay for quite cheap. I then got a blonde wig, some barrettes, and a black eyeliner pencil. I also bought several packs of fake cigarettes for me to secretly smoke all night long.

I got (or tried to get) crafty for two parts of it. First, was Margot's wooden finger. I had some scrap brown yarn and whipped up a fake finger for myself. It took 20 minutes and was super easy. It got pretty warped and a little stretched as the weekend progressed, but whatever. It did the job.

Me as Margot, coatless. Note the wooden finger and secret cigarette, though.

Second, was Margot's fur coat. This one was an epic epic FAIL. I got cheap faux fur and a pattern for a coat. I spent a day cutting the fabric and ran into the first issue: it shed like a mother fucker. Such a mess and pain. The second issue happened on Friday night (the night before our first Halloween party) when my sewing machine started having issues. The bobbin wasn't getting the right gauge and was making bad noises. I had a bit of a meltdown at this, because I was a little stressed and overtired. Ricky came home to me quite sad and told me that it wouldn't be awful if I didn't have a fur coat. I agreed (sadly).

Me and Ricky, now featuring a fur coat. I liked not having to smile in photos all weekend.

Saturday night at the first party, though, was a fur coat miracle. Our friend Amy has a fur coat from her grandmother and let me borrow it for the weekend. COAT WIN. And this was quite good, since this weekend was miserably miserably cold. I was very happy to have a mitten on one finger and a fur coat to keep me warm.

Tenenbaums on the street.

I like how this costume turned out. We were both quite comfortable, and a few people yelled "Baumer" out to us, so I consider that a success. We did see two other Ritchies, and I hear that Nicole Richie was also Margot, but that's okay with me. Ricky and I have already discussing options for Halloween 2011, because we are crazy.

No comments: