Monday, April 27, 2009

Thank you for being a friend


I think I'd be remiss if I didn't write something about Bea Arthur, who passed away yesterday at age 86. I was very surprised to hear this, and thought immediately of my college friend Eric Butler. He is a huge Golden Girls fan, so I can only imagine how he took this news.

I've definitely seen my fair share of Golden Girls and Maude, and loved her dry sense of humor. A witty remark and a withering glance. But I'm also a huge fan of her theatre work. Arthur originated the role of Yente in the musical Fiddler on the Roof. If you get a record or CD of this version, even if you didn't know that before listening to it, the minute she speaks you say "of course that's Bea Arthur".

Bea Arthur also played the role of Lucy Brown in an English language adaptation of Threepenny Opera as well as winning a Tony for her performance of Vera Charles in Mame.

Here's Bea Arthur singing with Angela Lansbury Bossom Buddies from Mame. So thanks for years of great performances, Bea. You'll be missed.

No comments: