Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 6 of the 30 Day Song Challenge

I seem to have lost some steam with this, and I apologize. Classes started this week at school, so it was a lot of busy time with the kids. Also, the Bruins were playing a lot of playoff hockey, which took up my evening free time. They're in the Stanley Cup Finals now, but I'll still make sure I have time for this.

Day 6: A Song That Reminds You Of Somewhere

This one has been difficult, I think. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my undergrad experience at HC. My five-year reunion is coming up next weekend (eek!) and I realized that I graduated from college five years ago on Thursday, May 26. I've done a lot in five years, and yet at the same time it seems like yesterday that I was sitting in Kimball Dining Hall with Erin and Tim. I've gone back a few times since then, mainly for plays and one Commencement, but it's not the same. College on a campus is such a special time, and you really can't recapture that. This is not to say it was the best four years of my life -- because I think it's sad to have peaked at 22 -- but it was a memorable and special four years.

But the remembering part hasn't been the difficult part... it's the decision of what song! Do I pick my college song, O Holy Cross? Do I pick songs I used for theatre pieces I directed? Do I pick a song that friends turned me onto?

So I think for this post, knowing that a lot of music played a big part of my college life, I will pick Float On by Modest Mouse. That album came out in the middle of college, and I feel like Float On played pretty much every weekend, at whatever party or hang out I was on, and we'd all sing the lyrics. And whenever I hear those opening notes and guitar strums, I can think of various groups of friends in a dorm or a party singing it. This is one of those songs that no matter who I was with, too, they'd love that album. So don't you worry, we'll all float on.

No comments: