Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 5 of the 30 Day Song Challenge

Ricky's watching The Big Chill right now on TV, and before I go join him I wanted to post today's, since I had been thinking about it all day long and decided that this would be the best option for the day.

Day 5: A Song That Reminds You Of Someone

Perhaps it's because we just bought some concert tickets, and also because my brothers, mom, and I have been talking about this band a lot lately, I chose Other 99 by Big Audio Dynamite. While my brothers and I were brought up on The Clash, we were almost brought up more by Big Audio Dynamite. We knew all the songs by heart, danced to them, and still quote them. BAD is coming to The House of Blues in August, and we all jumped at the chance to get tickets. (yep, going to a show at the House of Blues with my mom. Deal with it, Cate Blanchett)

Whenever I hear a snippet of a BAD song, I think of being little and growing up with my brothers and my mom. Every day we thank the music Gods that my mom is cool and taught us to love and appreciate good music, and that we don't know much about Top 40 except for what we learned in college. But we know all about The Cars, BAD, The Clash, Elvis Costello, and so on.

I've always loved the beat to Other 99, and find myself quoting it often. Everything's not always great, sometimes it's just fine. I ain't with the 100 crowd, I'm with the 99.

And you can bet that when they play this song in August, I will be dancing my little heart out.



And BONUS ROUND! the live version

No comments: