Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Walkman 1979-2010

That's the punchline, that's the way it should be...

I read today that Sony is no longer producing the Walkman in Japan. While they are still being made for the United States, I can only imagine it's just a matter of time before those factories stop producing them as well. I definitely had at least 1-2 in my day. I got one a year or two back when I needed to listen to a tape. Always strange when something you grew up with is discontinued for being obsolete. Like Kodachrome. And being able to easily purchase VHS tapes. (I realize they still exist... but when was the last time you saw a new movie being sold on VHS?)


The kids will remember the Walkman being used in a memorable scene from Back to the Future when Marty tricks George into thinking he's an alien in order to have George ask his mom out to the dance. (that being said, even though that movie is now 25 years old, in my mind it's both dated and timeless all at once)

I also definitely remember the joys of being able to listen to a tape quietly while trying to fall asleep as a kid. I think I had one that was yellow (canary, canary yellow) as a kid with matching headphones. Gotta love being subtle, Sony. Considering I still have my original iPod (what up, 2004!) I have a feeling if I still had cassette tapes, I'd probably still be using a Walkman regularly.


And in honor of the Walkman, here's an old Walkman ad. Note that it was considered a DEAL at just $100... that's just craziness. I think I bought my most recent one for $30.






And a video from The Walkmen.

No comments: