Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloweens of yesteryear: 2007

Hey! Ho! Let's go!

2007 was an odd Halloween party for me, but that's neither here nor there. I also wasn't sure what I'd be for Halloween until a few days before the party. I was watching an old Homestar Runner cartoon when I saw the character Marzipan was dressed up as Joey Ramone. So I thought... why not? Easy enough, right?

2007: Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone was a very easy costume to pull together, which is good because I didn't have a lot of time to do it in. I had a Ramones shirt on hand, which was good, and then I borrowed a pair of pants from my brother that were ripped. (fun fact: I fit into my brother's pants without needing a belt) I had ratty pair of Chuck Taylors that I use for when I'm painting. I then went to a Halloween store and bought two cans of spray dye. I couldn't find a pair of sunglasses that looked like Joey's ubiquitous pair, so I just used my own pair instead.

The leather jacket was the hardest part, since they can be pretty expensive and I knew I didn't want to blow a lot of money on a leather jacket for a Halloween costume. I was also filling to find just a black jean jacket if it came down to it. Fortunately, I found one for $20 at a consigment shop that fit decently.

The night of the party, I spent about an hour teasing my hair with hairspray to get more volume/mess to it and then dying it black. This was also the year I was donating my hair to Locks of Love, so I had a lot of hair to deal with. The results, I thought, were pretty good.


This is my and my friend Becca. I spent a lot of the party just looking a little pissed off, in order to embrace my own inner punk rocker. I believe she's supposed to be a punk rock fairy, so it's fitting.


And me and Erin. Erin was also growing out her hair for Locks of Love at the time, so she was dressed up as Leela this year. She had a ton of hair, and it was in a long ponytail and bright purple.


And a note about that spray dye. It's amazingly good at dying your hair for a night, but it makes your hair essentially a shell of color. It took me at least an hour and multiple shampoo rinses to get it all out and to have my hair not be crunchy again. I'd use it again, but definitely be aware of the consequences.


And in closing, here are The Ramones singing Judy is a Punk at the late and dearly missed CBGB:

No comments: