Monday, October 25, 2010

Mittens Mittens Mittens

So I'm blogging on a sick day. Long story short: went to a housewarming yesterday, I think some food didn't sit well, was up last night from 2am on unable to sleep and there was no way I could work on an hour of sleep and the spins. So I am checking emails from home, drinking coffee, and trying to have a low key day.

I figured it would be a good time to show off my latest FO that I am super proud of:


The bird in hand mittens! I started these bad boys in February, but other knitting projects and not wanting to sew in loose ends delayed finishing it. The pattern also calls for embroidering wings, feet, eyes, and a beak for each bird on the thumb (get it? bird in hand?) so that also delayed me finishing them. It was rough getting into such a small space, but the results are quite cute (see below). Fortunately, the cold of October in Salem almost forced me to finish these mittens, so my hands would be protected when walking to and from the train. I really love the colorwork on them, and how the gray pops.

They're also super warm. Probably because it's essentially lined with another yarn. I chose Rowan Felted Tweed, which is great. The flicks of color make it. A bit pricey, but so worth it when you see the results.


When I bought the yarn for this, the person who was working advised me to buy two skeins of each color for the mittens, but that is waaay too much for Rowan Felted Tweed. I used maybe half of each. This just means I'll have to make another pair of mittens in Rowan. :)

I strongly recommend using the pattern, as it's adorable, as well as using Rowan for a project. You get great results.

No comments: