Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 12 of the 30 Day Song Challenge

It's been a stressful week, so I'm happy I can take a few minutes to rant about a band I don't like.

Day 12: A Song From A Band You Hate

I think the word hate might be a bit too strong with this post, but it's still a good chance to rant about bad music. I really really dislike The Dave Matthews Band. A lot. All that jamming, frat boy at UConn trying to be alternative shit bugs me. I also clump Matchbox 20 and Phish into this ranting, even though I know their music doesn't really sound similar. But yeah. I can't stand Dave Matthews Band.

Friends of mine growing up in high school loved DMB and would wait up for the new album to be streamed on the radio, or go see their shows a million times. So awful. I honestly can't say I like any of their songs or would spend money on a concert.

This band was just coming into its own when I was ending high school, so a lot of "you're graduating" montages featured a DMB song or two. And definitely a fair share of summer mixes from friends and playlists and road trips. I'm happy to say it seems we've all grown up from that.

I chose Everyday, because this music video is also incredibly STUPID. (It was between Everyday and The Space Between, but really, either one could have worked) The guy is hugging strangers, and the commenters are eating it up. It's not deep or uplifting. The dude's hugging people. THAT'S IT. Then listen to the lyrics "all you need is all you want is love"... WHAT?!? That's not as profound as you want it to be Dave. And the Beatles did that in the 60's.



I will say the only highlight is that the actor in it is Judah Friedlander. And who doesn't love some Judah Friedlander?

No comments: