Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Coo, what a sight!



I do promise I have several more favorite things to discuss, but I wanted to send a HUGE appreciation out to Robert Sherman.  The Sherman brothers pretty much wrote the soundtrack to my childhood.  There is somewhere out there a VHS tape of me and Pete jumping on the couch enthusiastically to Step In Time. 

When you read a list of all the Disney movies The Sherman brothers penned music for, you'll be amazed.  Mary Poppins.  Parent Trap.  Jungle Book.  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Bedknobs and Broomsticks.  The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.  And I'm just skimming the surface!

I highly recommend renting the Sherman Brothers documentary, because it's fascinating.  It displays all the songs they wrote together, but also shows the strained and complicated relationship the brothers had their entire adult lives.  It's amazing.

The passing of Robert Sherman yesterday seems to close out a "deaths from my childhood come in threes", with Jan Berenstain and Davy Jones last week.


Here's a favorite of mine from Mary Poppins:

No comments: