Thursday, March 1, 2012

A brief pause in MFT...

I would also be remiss if in the middle of this My Favorite Things meme I didn't pause to acknowledge Davy Jones, the "cute British guy" in The Monkees.  I've always had a soft spot for The Monkees for their programmed and imaged pop of the 60's.  I was quite surprised when Ricky told me he had passed away, especially since he was so young.  I'm sure somewhere out there right now Marcia Brady is a little sad at the loss of her prom date.

I also wowed Ricky with the trivia that Davy Jones also performed on the Ed Sullivan Show the night the Beatles played.  He originated the role of the Artful Dodger in the musical Oliver, and the same night that the Beatles were on, the cast performed a number from the show.   He said that after seeing The Beatles performed, he caught the rock star bug.

Here are my two favorite songs of theirs.  First, Daydream Believer. 





And secondly, Cuddly Toy.  I have a soft spot for this song because Harry Nilsson wrote it for the Monkees.  Ricky pointed out it's interesting because they actually sound like Nilsson when they sing this song. 





No comments: