Sunday, October 4, 2009

Biscuit FAIL

This morning, I decided to be a nice girlfriend and make Ricky fresh biscuits. I have some biscuit mix and jams, and I've been storing them so they keep. We had a really busy weekend, so why not relax with biscuits?

The biscuits I'm talking about are the biscuits from the Loveless Cafe. I went there last winter to visit Michnya and Michelle, loved it, and then for Christmas they sent me this kit. I gave the biscuit kit to other people -- my mom loved it, and I don't think Erin ever even used the mix -- so I know it's pretty easy to whip up a batch.

Maybe I was smoking crack when I thought this, because dear Lord... it was a nightmare.

They recommended you put it out on flour, then put more flour the top, then flour your rolling pin. Afterwards, you cut them into 2-inch circles and bake them. Brush melted butter on top, add jam, and you have yourself a meal.

This is what it's supposed to look like:


This what I produced:


Yep, not quite smooth, golden, or circular. The dough was quite gooey. I put it out on a pile of flour, and it managed to find the small crevices of non-flour on my table and stick to it. I poured more flour on top of the mass and then lots on my rolling pin, and when I rolled it out, the gooey insides peaked out and stuck to the rolling pin. I poured more flour on top.

When I managed to have it be a flattened length, I cut it into 2-inch circles. Then I couldn't get them off the table. I tried a spatula. Nothing. So instead, I kind of took each circle and balled them up. Which made my fingers a gooey mess. Ricky offered to help, but I was so fed up I banished him from the kitchen.

They were still tasty, but not quite as aesthetically pleasing as I had hoped. Next time, I'm sticking to my homemade oatmeal.

No comments: