Monday, July 13, 2009

A physics lesson thanks to the Home Run Derby

Whoa...


Bowling was postponed until the middle of the week, since everyone was pretty busy, so I had a night to myself out of the blue. I watched part of the Home Run Derby tonight -- rest day for The Tour, so I had to settle on the oh so lame HRD -- and the science nerd in me got a little annoyed. Okay, really annoyed and might have swore.

One of the commentators at the beginning said the key to winning the Home Run Derby was velocity... but then proceeded to describe speed. This is wrong on so many levels. Let's break it down, shall we?

1. Velocity is a vector.
2. Speed is a rate of motion.
3. Velocity and Speed are not the same thing. At all.
4. Don't confuse science terms in a failed effort to appear smarter than you actually are.

Sigh...

No comments: