Friday, February 8, 2013

Fifty Fifty Book Round Up: Books 6-10

I thought I had blogged this, but I guess I hadn't.  Well here we go!

6. Winesburg, Ohio: A Group Of Tales of Ohio Small Town Life by Sherwood Anderson (11/5-11/9).  This was a quick read and interesting, but after a bit all the stories tend to bleed together.  I can see how it inspired similar works.

7. Taft 2012 by Jason Heller (11/12-11/16).  I liked this, and I'm glad it was short because if it was too long it might get tiring.  A quick, clever read.  All the Craigslist rants were really funny.  Interesting to read post-election, too.

8. Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos (11/16-11/29).  I liked this book a lot.  It was entertaining, fast, and I love writing about Austen from an Austen fan.  It's expected at times, but I didn't even care.  A good, girly, fast read.
 
9. When You're Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris (11/30-12/11).  Standard Sedaris.  It was interesting reading an earlier Sedaris and then a later one to see just how different his life has become ever since writing/This American Life.  Typical weird and funny.  If you're a Sedaris fan, you'll enjoy it.
 
10. A Separate Peace by John Knowles (12/11-12/19).  I think if I was a boy who went to boarding school I'd enjoy it more.  But when I started reading it I knew that one of the two best friends was going to die, and since it couldn't be the narrator, I guessed the end correctly.  I get a feeling the writer was a bit of a one-trick pony, since he wrote a similar work later on in his career.

No comments: