Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 4 of the 30 Day Song Challenge

There was a bit of a hiatus, since I went to a wedding over the weekend and work was busy. More on the wedding later. I was also hesitant to post this day's song with the happiness over the weekend.

Day 4: A Song That Makes You Sad

This was an easy choice, unfortunately. More than any song, The Beatles' In My Life has been linked to sad times in my life. But I also feel like that's the case for everyone. Who hasn't heard this song at a graduation or a funeral?

I've heard this song at both, and in very sad contexts. When Jack died, his sister did the eulogy. She read the lyrics to this song at the end, and there was not a dry eye in the church. And a year earlier, when Ms Wieditz my high school music teacher disappeared on a scuba diving trip and was never found again, at both her memorial concert and the graduation the year after she passed away the chorus sang this song in honor of her. Both were filled with emotion, sweetness, and this pang of premature loss.

And while the song tries to keep an upbeat message at the end -- that despite all the loss and comings and goings we experience in live, I'll always remember and love you the most of all -- remembering this song in the context of that loss makes me very sad. There were many years where I couldn't even listen to that song without welling up. With time, that reaction has become less intense, but whenever I think of it, I think of those two people and get quite sad and nostalgic.

No comments: