Saturday, April 30, 2011

Yep, I was one of those people who got up early to watch The Royal Wedding


Friday morning I set my alarm for 5:30am so I could shower, get cozy, and watch the Royal Wedding. Lewis watched with me, too. Ricky preferred sleeping.

I'm not reinventing the wheel when I say that I really enjoyed watching, it seemed grand and understated, Kate and William seem like a good team and couple, and that Kate definitely channeled deep into that "Grace Kelly marrying Prince Ranier" aesthetic. Which is probably smart, because far wiser to steer the conversation from "Diana 2.0" to "The Modern Day Grace".

Ever since I was a wee little thing, I've loved a good TV wedding. When I was a kid, my friend Emma and I dressed up, had sandwiches, and watched Maria and Luis get married on Sesame Street. I enjoyed watching all the Friends weddings. I voted on every Today Throws a Wedding every summer. Seeing bitches duking it out on Four Weddings is equally as enjoyable to mentally critiquing their weddings myself. I like ceremony and pretty things on tv.

Once I found out when The Royal Wedding was, I planned my morning. I'd get up early, drink tea and eat the Dunkin Donuts Royal Wedding doughnut, and wear a fun headband. Not a bad way to start a Friday, right?

The doughnut was... well, I had hoped for better. While it was a heart and had a formal effect to it, the jelly inside was only in the center... come on, Dunks! A little more jelly would have been much appreciated to cut the cakiness down.

The tea didn't happen, because Lewis was playing a lot, and I was worried about boiling up some tea with him running around. I did have some Earl Gray later on at work, though. (part of this was to continue with the spirit of the day, the other was for the needed caffeine after getting up at 5:30am)

I wore a headband I had with flowers on one side, since it was as close as I could get to a fastener. I almost wore it to work, but glasses and headband always feels like too much going on on my head. The Royals probably would have poo-pooed my headgear, but it worked for my apartment viewing party. (me and my cat)

It was neat being part of a cultural moment live as it was happening, and knowing that millions of people were doing the same thing as me. Like The Olympics and The Tour and The World Cup. It's also interesting to think that we've seen William grow up and now take this big step, and to think that we'll watching this couple grow through the years and eventually become King and Queen of England. The argument can be made that this is a waste of tax money and the relevancy of The Royals in a modern age, but at that moment it was nice to see two people in love take this step.

I wish them both well and hope that theirs is one of love and happiness.

No comments: